Friday, March 7, 2008

Gotta Start Somewhere


I suppose we could call these "Early" efforts in my cake decorating career. The good news is that they tasted better than they looked. I made the chocolate cake last weekend so I could practice the various techniques learned in Course I. The cake with orange roses was decorated on the final night of Course I and featured shell borders, sweet peas (orange around bottom edge), dots, leaves, ribbons, writing (stems) and of course, roses. The reason the orange roses look like a bouquet and the chocolate roses look like they'd been plunked is because I learned at the last class to make a frosting mound to park the roses on to give them dimension. Who knew? Anyhow, on to Course II, which started Tuesday night. We are learning how to make flowers out of royal icing. (aka edible concrete!) Our first one was a yellow mum. Mine looked vaguely like a dandelion that didn't get out of the mower's way. We'll see if some practice tomorrow improve things.

No comments: