Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Groundhog Day - Imbolc - Candlemas

I have never seen the word Imbolc before. Today I saw it twice in less than 5 minutes! So, I went a-googling and read all sorts of interesting things about February 2nd. It is halfway between the winter solstice and the spring equinox and 40 days after Christmas. There are all sorts of pagan and Christian traditions tied to this date, which I am much to lazy to list. (see the wikipedia listings for Imbolc and Candlemas as a great place to start your research.) Bottom line - Spring is coming again. The writer of "Living Water from an Ancient Well" (see link on the sidebar) has a lovely liturgy for today that really glorifies God and His creation.

On a different note, I read somewhere a while back about re-visiting New Year's resolutions throughout the year following a pattern of Feb. 2, March 3, April 4 etc. I thought that was a good way to keep up the momentum, so I'll be doing that later today.

Meanwhile, we are getting snow and freezing rain today, so I can justify staying inside and playing on the computer!

No comments: