Sunday, April 15, 2012

"I Bought Too Much at the Farmer's Market Vegetable Soup"

Last week I was trying to bring order out of chaos in the fridge. I dragged out all the produce and it was immediately obvious that there was no way two people could eat all that veg before it went bad. So, out came the cutting board, the knife, and the 16 quart pot. Here's what went in:

brussel sprouts
bok choy
savoy cabbage (1/2 a head)
red cabbage (1/2 a head)
baby carrots
celery
cauliflower (1/2 a head)
shallot
(I can't remember - but maybe an onion and some garlic)

All veg was chopped into bite sized pieces and sauteed in some olive oil. After things started to soften up, I added 2 quarts of frozen turkey broth (recipe posted on the blog as "Blue's Soup". Then I added another 2 quarts of water that I had boiled in the tea kettle.

After the pot got close to a boil I added 1 cup of quinoa, put on the lid and simmered it for 30 minutes.

At the very end I added some kosher salt and some black pepper until it passed the taste test with Little Man's father.

I was afraid it might smell cabbage-y, but the end result smelled and tasted wonderful! I put a lot of it into the freezer right away, but what I kept in the fridge thickened up nicely and tasted even better on day 2 and 3.

No comments: