Friday, November 13, 2015

Low Carb Sausage and Spinach Soup

It doesn't seem possible that over two years have passed since the last time I posted on this blog. Anyhow, today I did an experiment that came out good so I thought I would share.

1 lb of pork sausage
10 oz frozen chopped spinach
1/2 cup chopped onion or fennel
1 tbsp olive oil
2 quarts turkey or chicken broth
1/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup Greek yogurt

Warm a dutch oven and add the olive oil Cook the sausage and onion or fennel until the sausage is brown.

Sprinkle the almond flour over the sausage and stir for a minute or two.

Add the broth and the spinach and bring to a simmer.

Stir in the Greek yogurt.

Simmer on low for 30 minutes.

The almond flour doesn't thicken like regular flour does, but it does add a little body to the broth. I happened to have some turkey bone broth in the fridge so I used that, diluted with water. The sausage was seasoned and I didn't think that any additional salt, pepper or herbs were needed.

Perfect for a cold, windy November day! Enjoy!

No comments: