Saturday, February 16, 2008

Music Hunt

The other day my pastor told me he was helping with the music at the youth group retreat. He asked if I might have sheet music for some of the songs, to go along with the guitar chords he had been given. I had to laugh, because I had only heard of 2 of the 6 songs on the list, and only had music for one of them. I'm getting old!!! The praise & worship music that I am most familiar with is now practically ancient history, written in the 80's, 90's and maybe early 2000's. However, I must say, the task of becoming acquainted with some new stuff was a blessing indeed. Youtube and Myspace were a great help. Almost every song is available on one or both of those sites to listen to. I have always found it very helpful to actually hear a song, especially the contemporary ones, in order to know how they should sound. Tracking down the sheet music was a bit harder, but not too bad. www.worshiptogether.com has a lot of music available at very reasonable prices. Also, they always feature some free songs, which I try to print out. I also found a site called www.igracemusic.com which had hymns, old & new, available.

The biggest blessing was hearing Todd Agnew. I had never heard him or heard of him before, but I really like the music he has featured on his myspace page. His voice is a surprise, very deep and sort of like Johnny Cash. His style and words are passionate.

No comments: