Saturday, January 15, 2011

Lettuce & Leek Soup

I've been on a Brother Victor-Antoine d'Avila-Latourrette kick lately. We have his "Twelve Months of Monastery Soups" cookbook. He's been busy since then and our library system has quite a few books by him. His latest is called "Sacred Feasts from a Monastery Kitchen". He's been practicing and promoting "eat local and seasonal" for years, long before it became the trendy thing to do. I enjoy reading the explanations that go along with his recipes describing life in a monastery and how it revolves around the liturgical year.

His green soups particularly caught my eye and I've been thinking about them lately. The recipe below is based very loosely on a couple of his recipes. It is also based on a google of lettuce soup this AM before I got busy trying to use up what I had purchased at the public market last Saturday. In addition to this soup, this AM I made beef vegetable soup and a low carb picadillo from Dana Carpender. Both the ground beef and the beef soup bone came from a local farm that sells grass-fed beef. Yummy!

Leek & Lettuce Soup

3 leeks - chopped
3 cloves garlic - smashed

Cook in olive oil until limp.

Add - 1 cup turkey broth and about a quart of water with a tablespoon of chicken soup base.

Then add the lettuces - chopped. Today I had arugula, watercress and mixed greens. I also added some chopped fresh basil leaves. Cook until limp.

Add fresh chopped parsley and cook for about 5 more minutes.

Whiz all of the above in the blender along with about 1/2 cup of plain yogurt. (Today's yogurt also came from the public market - Jersey cow yogurt - YUM!)

Add salt to taste. I used about a tablespoon of kosher salt.

No comments: