Sunday, January 2, 2011

Missions & Ministries - Part 5

Back in the dark ages, when I was 12 or 13, I read "The Cross & the Switchblade" by David Wilkerson. I was captivated by how the Lord used him to minister to gang members and drug addicts and ultimately, start Teen Challenge. The Lord also used these books to touch my heart and put within me a desire for a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ. Over the years I have heard presentations from individuals whose lives have been transformed by God through the Teen Challenge program, and it has always remained a favorite ministry of mine.

I used to wish that I had a dramatic testimony. I've grown enough in my faith to know that any testimony is dramatic, and that any time God touches and redeems a life, it is a miracle of grace. Sometimes I forget that and get weighed down with the cynicism of the world. At such times, a report of a life saved from crime, drugs & despair reminds me that God is still at work and that no life is beyond the hope of salvation.

Sadly, there is as much of a need for a ministry to drug addicts as there was when Teen Challenge was started. Also sadly, the center in Rochester, NY was financially unable to stay open and recently had to combine with Buffalo, NY. Hopefully if the economy improves, the center in Rochester will be re-established. Meanwhile, Teen Challenge remains a ministry that does wonderful work with minimal resources. (www.tcwny.org)

No comments: