Sunday, March 13, 2011

Blue's Soup (akaTurkey Broth Recipe)

Way back in the dark ages (probably late 1980's) before the internet, we bought our first computer, a Zenith with an amber screen. (It's still in the attic!) I had a trial membership with Prodigy, an early on-line group, and I had met some nice pen pals there. At one time I wrote that I was trying to make soup and it was boring and tasteless. I received the following recipe from someone who's screen name was Blue, and I have used it successfully for years. Usually I use it with a turkey carcass.

Blue's Soup

Put whatever (turkey, chicken, ham bone) into the soup pot and cover with water. Add salt (1/2 tbsp), 5 grinds pepper, 1/4 cup onions (dried, minced, ground to powder), garlic (enough to fit in center of hand), same amounts of parsley, sage, ground rosemary (poultry only), thyme, hyssop (note - I've never had any of this) and marjoram. Add 3 stalks celery minced, or 1/2 tbsp celery salt, 1 grated carrot.

Cook until meat falls off bones. Strain.

Usually I end there and freeze the results for future use. The recipe goes on to say: re-season again using the same amounts of everything except salts. Add veggies, simmer 1 hour.

No comments: