Sunday, March 13, 2011

Spring Ahead Soup

Yesterday's kitchen mission was to cook or compost all the vegetables in the kitchen. The end result was "Spring Ahead Soup".

First, I lined a large roasting pan with foil and put in baby carrots and cut up turnips, green pepper, cauliflower and onion. I coated it all with some olive oil and roasted it at 425 degrees for 40 minutes, tossing it after 20 minutes.

In another lined roasting pan, I put in cut up broccoli and leeks. I roasted them for 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

I dumped in all the roasted vegetables into a large pot and added water to cover. I also added a frozen batch of turkey broth and a fork-full of chicken soup base. I heated it all and then pureed it with an immersion blender.

Because the turkey broth has seasonings and the chicken soup base has salt, it did not need any other seasoning. The end result tasted good and yielded about 7 quarts of soup.

No comments: