Saturday, August 13, 2011

God's Good Gifts - Coffee

Every day starts with coffee! Usually I have about 1 1/2 cups, then switch to tea. if I know there's no tea in the offing, then I have a little more. When I first started drinking coffee back in college I put in 3 (!) teaspoons of sugar. I finally decided I had to learn to either learn to drink it black or give it up, so after a few months of making a face every time I took a sip, I finally learned to love it straight out of the pot. Coffee is another one of those daily gifts from God that I am thankful for.

Quite a while ago, the homemaker's club I belonged to had a guest speaker. This man had been downsized from a very good job, so he took early retirement and followed his dream and opened a coffee roasting shop. This was back when fancy coffee shops were just beginning to pop up. His talk took us from planting to brewing and every step in between and gave me a whole new appreciation of what goes into a cup of coffee. There's such a fine line between light, medium, dark or ruined!

For a while, we would buy our beans whole and grind them daily. The novelty of that has long since worn off, so now I buy ground coffee, which tastes just fine to me. We especially like Gevalia but since it is so pricey, tend to only fix it on weekends or when we have company over. Dunkin Donuts has great coffee but even it has become quite expensive lately. Good old Sam's Club has their own brand that quite nice.

No comments: