Tuesday, August 9, 2011

God's Good Gifts - Tea


Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. James 1:17 (ESV)

The other day as I was driving around (and around and around!) on the lawnmower, I started thinking about some of God's gifts, so I thought I'd write about some of them, in no particular order.

Today, I'm thinking of tea. Who thought of taking a leaf, curing it, and then putting it in hot water to make a drink? And which leaf? And how long to dry it, ferment it, or whatever? I just googled tea, and the wikipedia article alone is huge, not to mention all the various tea sellers and their sites. Anyhow, I think that a naturally occuring plant that can be made into such an enjoyable and healthy drink qualifies as a gift from God, one for which I am very thankful.

Tea is THE most popular drink in the world, and is definitely high on my list, right after water. Almost every day, I fix myself a small pot of tea early and enjoy it all morning, at work or at home. Twining's Prince of Wales variety is my absolute favorite, but I also enjoy trying others. Another one that is lovely is Orange Blossom oolong from Tealightful Treasures. I indulge in loose tea sometimes (but have learned to use the paper tea sacs, which make clean up much easier - sorry, I'm not a purist!) but really appreciate the convenience of tea bags. Most afternoons I have a large mug of herbal tea and during the cold months, another cup of chamomile tea is a treat in the evening.

This past Christmas I received some mint tea. I always avoided mint tea in the past, but this was really good, so I've been on a mint kick lately.

I've loved tea for years, but am happy to see it growing in popularity. Hot, iced, caffeinated, herbal - thank you Lord for this blessing!

No comments: