Sunday, April 15, 2012

Cranberry-Pineapple Jello

Yesterday in an attempt to clean out the pantry and fridge, I tried a new recipe and was happy with the results. I had cherry and strawberry sugar free jello and a bag of tired cranberries. The recipe I came up with on the internet called for a can of cranberry sauce, so the first thing I did was wash the cranberries, pick out the bad ones, then cook what was left with equal parts water and sugar. The recipe on the package called for 1 cup of water to 12 oz. of cranberries. I used 2/3 cup water and 2/3 cup sugar, brought it to a boil and cooked it for 10 minutes.

Here's the recipe:

6 oz of red jello ( I used a 3 oz cherry and a 3 oz strawberry)
2 cups boiling water
20 oz can of crushed pineapple - drained (reserve the liquid)
Can of cranberry sauce or 1 bag of cranberries cooked per the sauce recipe on the package.

Put the jello in a bowl and add 2 cups boiling water. Stir until dissolved.
Add the cranberry sauce
Add cold water to the pineapple juice to bring it to 2 cups - add to the bowl.
Stir in the pineapple.

Chill until set.

I think this would be a nice way to incorporate cranberries into a turkey dinner.

No comments: